Author Topic: OpenVPN testing - Hamachi replacement  (Read 7431 times)

Fishmonger

• Cantina Regulars
  • Mapmaker in training
Re: OpenVPN testing - Hamachi replacement
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2020, 11:11:46 PM »
went off site with the laptop to test it myself. Works like a charm. Got insta-killed right away so things must be perfect. Pings were fast, game ran fine even with some pyrotechnics.

If I can kill the Hamachi renwal in time, we're going OpenVPN. I'd like to do some load testing this weekend with more than one of the remote players on VPN, just so I can see if there are any limitations on the CPU of the router. If there is a bottleneck I may just do one more season of Hamachi, as a guaranteed fast Asus RT-AC86U router is almost 200 bucks, and I need a third router like I need a hole in my head.

Don't eat food off the sidewalk, no matter how good it looks.

c4Dude

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2020, 10:13:36 PM »
I recommend changing the setting to not start automatically with Windows which is the default. My experience was 2 BSOD and multiple boots with like minutes to boot up. So don't reboot after install before changing that setting.

Corrected by 2 settings I recommend.
1. As above do not start automatically with Windows as the default or you will be waiting for the timeout to occur or worse BSOD.
2. Reduce a lot the 4 settings related to timeout connections. Defaults are like Preconnect timeout 10, Script Timeout 30, Dicsonnect timeout 10. I set the connect timeouts to 2.

Fishmonger

• Cantina Regulars
  • Mapmaker in training
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2020, 11:41:59 PM »
that is a setting of the client, and in my install it starts the client, I think, although I never rebooted since install. It does not automatically initiate the connection.

I don't want anyone to connect unless they play. In fact, I think it is best I set up individual usernames and passwords, and nuke the one everyone has.

I see what machines are connected and as of right now, I see H, and C4 connected, but only C4 is on the server.

In the future, I think I will shut down the VPN server every night just like I shut down the GRAW server. Keeps me feeling a little more secure. Imagine there's a bunch of computers across the country you don't really have any idea about, especially how secure they are, all connected to your local network, at any time they please.

If we have unique usernames and passwords, I can see in the logs who is coming and and when they are coming in.   I can set up 16 such logins, so likely enough to always have room for those active at some part of the year.

More about that in the coming days. For now use what I gave you.

Fishmonger

• Cantina Regulars
  • Mapmaker in training
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2020, 08:48:36 PM »
Paid for another year of Hamachi. Use what you want for now, but in the coming weeks and months, I want to test OpenVPN settings that are different from the current setup that doesn't work for everyone.

HSantal

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2020, 11:42:26 PM »
Either one works for me so let me know if you want to test stuff.
I do what I can.

If a man, standing in the forest says something, and his wife isn't there to correct him, is he still wrong??

Fishmonger

• Cantina Regulars
  • Mapmaker in training
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2020, 10:13:26 PM »
as of last weekend, the VPN server is off again. All Hamachi for now